Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Meet my new BFF Mr. Blackaby

Maybe rivaling the number of Justin Beiber fans, is the growing number of Christ-followers that have said "No, thank you" to organized church. I am going to be real edgy and say that on one hand I get it, and on another, this deeply saddens me.

Why do I get it?

I was in a department store the other day trying to find as many shirts as I could for under $20 (I came away with two by the way) and overheard two ladies having a conversation about their worship experience the day before. I listened to them express their strong opinions about how communion was not served appropriately and leadership seemed to not know the correct way to do it. It was new leadership. Oh dear. Had I not already cried this week, I would have gone into the dressing room and bawled. All I could think of was, "I hope no one else hears this conversation. Especially the someone who has not surrendered their life to the Lord."I pictured a member of the "not going to church" church overhearing this conversation and thinking "Uh-huh! Case in point!"

I can recall another time recently as a group of us sat around and discussed how we dropped the ball in ministering to a sister in Christ. I wanted to throw a fit and whip my shoe across the room, but I looked down and saw I was wearing flip-flops and they would not do the damage I was looking for. Defeat is what I felt and giving up is what I longed to do.

There are times when I listen to people's concerns over details that it is difficult for me to not let my mind wander to earlier in the day when I was on the floor sobbing with another woman over her disintegrating marriage. I am tempted to say, "Really? Is that what is causing the hitch in your giddy-up today?" When popsicles are not the right snack, I grow weary and and want to go work at Starbuck's.

I could go on and on about how the "church" drops the ball. We fail, we mess up, we sin, we get too caught up in small details and do not get caught up enough in the big ones.

But then. . .

I recall driving up to a work site where a group of about 12 men gave up a Saturday to roof a widow's house that they didn't know. Persevering through falling hammers and a "too many cooks in the kitchen" atmosphere so they could be Jesus in the flesh to a woman.

I remember walking into the children's wing at the church to find one of the mom's embracing and praying over a child-care worker.

I remember lying on my kitchen floor holding my phone up to my ear as a dear friend prayed God's word of victory over me.

I watch grown men go to the altar on Sunday mornings and submit themselves to their Lord as they lead their families.

I see a sweet lady who is most likely one step closer to heaven at this point in her life, raise her weathered and experienced hand in worship to her Lord.

I hear my children repeat things back to me said by their Pastor.

And I say "Uh-huh! Case in point!"

We must not forsake the gathering of believers. We must endure through the imperfections of our brothers and sisters in Christ. We must exercise church discipline and extend grace when needed and love even when it hurts. We must forgive as Christ forgave us. We must be willing to be held accountable.

Check out these statements that Henry Blackaby writes in Experiencing God:

A church is a body. It is the body of Christ.
Jesus Christ is present as Head of a local church.
Every member is placed in the body as it pleases God.
God made us mutually interdependent. We need each other.
Apart from the body, I cannot fully know God's will for my relationship to the body.
Every member needs to be listening to what the other members are saying.
As I function in relationship to the church, I depend on others in the church to help me understand God's will.

Wowsers. Go Henry. Get on with your bold self.

"Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into Him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From Him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work."
Ephesians 4:15-16

4 comments:

Jana said...

Ah...so very true. I can not even begin to count how many times I have heard "I believe in God, just not organized religion."

And then a woman gripes about not having a chair set up for her at a table during a mission project.

I get it too. It is so easy to walk away from the nagging, the whining, the things that are SO not important.

I will be clinging to this verse for the next time I hear a fight over worship styles, or colors of hymnals, or who is going to use a room next.

Jackie said...

Preach it sister ~ I know it is through the "Church" and all of its imperfections that continues to support, lead, and encourage me in my walk with the Lord.

If my walk was alone it would take me to a place where I knew best ~ and it would certainly be my will and not that perfect will of my Father that I would hear. It does happen...and oh what a mess to clean up.

Debbie thank you for your reminder; the importance to witness, not to fret over silly trivial matters. May I, through the body of Christ, reflect Him and His love.

Melissa said...

Awesomely said!! I to have often fretted over what I could say that would totally erase whatever it was that ticked a person off so that they left "church" - the encouragement, the followship, The Word!! I've had my share of wandering off but it was never because of The Church. It was my own not doing what I should have done. I will apologize if I have ever complained - cause I am a self-centered-sinner - about trivial things. I like to ask why but not to be controversal but just homecome. Love you Debbie and thank you for sharing a struggle we can pray for. :-)

Bill Scarrott said...

What a great message! I hope you find time to start writing more regularly!